Merrymeeting Bay is constantly under pressure. On this page you can
find out about some of the issues currently facing the bay, and what is
being doene about them.
On this page would be found information about issues and challenges, with
links to individual pages as needed to flesh out the issue or challenge.
Current Issues and Challenges
Head towardsthe bay!
- Wild Rice Worm (Apamea apamiformis )
- Purple Loosestrife
- Dams ; Edwards Dam (article in Merrymeeting News Winter 1996)
- Dioxin: Toxic byproduct of kraft paper bleaching process used by companies
on the Androscoggin and Kennebec rivers (article in Merrymeeting News Winter
- Return of Eagles, Sturgeon
- Back River Salt Marsh Protected; 275 acre salt marsh on Back River ,
tributary of the Kennebec, donated to Maine Chapter of the Nature Conservancy.
(article in Merrymeeting News Winter 1996)